There are so many types of sex toys! Trying to pick one that fits your preferences can be daunting, but it doesn’t have to be! Masturbation is all about exploring your own body, exploring your desires and finding what feels pleasurable to you. Here’s a quick guide to some of the most popular types of sex toys available, and how they’re used! Remember, most toys, especially vibrating toys, can be used on all types of bodies and body parts.
Also known as vibes or personal massagers, these sex toys provide vibration patterns that stimulate the body’s internal and external pleasure centers. Vibrators are commonly used to stimulate the clitoris, vulva, vagina, penis, scrotum, testicles, nipples, and anus.
- Wand Vibrators - these typically consist of a rounded vibrating ball attached to a handle. Wand vibrators typically are the most intense vibrator style, and work well for folks who enjoy a strong sensation. Wand vibes can be used to apply intense stimulation during masturbation or partnered sex (plus they double as great back massagers - no, really!!).
- Rabbit (Dual Stimulation) Vibrators - a Rabbit Vibe toy is a combination stimulator and comes with an insertable component and an external stimulation for the clit. They are called Rabbits because the external vibrator usually looks like bunny ears! This type of toy is best for folks who find dual sensations pleasurable, and are looking to experiment with blended orgasms.
- G-Spot Vibrators - Thanks to their slight curve or bumped shape, g-spot vibrators make it easy to apply pressure to the pleasure zone.
- Suction Toys - These toys simulate oral sex and can be used on nipples, penis, and clitoris. Clit suction toys use air pressure to create a gentle sucking that simulates the sensations of oral sex on a vulva! Suction toys are great toys for sensitive clits or first time toy buyers.
When using anal toys, always be sure to pick one that has a flared base, or a ring on the end to hold on to. Remember - the anus is not a self lubricating orifice, and you should always use a toy-compatible lubricant when experimenting with any type of anal play!
- Butt Plugs - Butt plugs are a great way to experiment with anal play. Butt plugs (especially training kits) can teach your body to relax around different sized toys and prepare for anal penetration. Because butt plugs have a flared base, it means they can be used safely without a harness, and are meant to be worn for periods of time if desired. Different sensations than using a dildo anally, since plugs are meant to stay in place Vibrating butt plugs and non-vibrating butt plugs are available.
- Anal Beads - Different from butt plugs, Anal Beads provide the sensation of the sphincter opening and closing, which is a delicious experience! Designed to give a distinct bloop-bloop sensation, anal beads are inserted one by one as far as the wearer desires, then removed slowly. Anal beads can also come in a vibrating version.
- Prostate Massagers - Most effective for people with prostates, prostate toys and massagers provide direct sensations to the most pleasurable zone. These toys are a great option for folks who want to experiment with anal play without having to use their hands! Prostate toy shapes are similar to and usually interchangeable with g-spot toys because of their curved ‘come hither’ shape.
- Cock Rings (also known as c-rings or penis rings) - Created to give folks with penises a longer erection and more intense orgasms, they work by restricting blood flow from the penis. Cock rings can also make penises more sensitive, heightening the sensations from orgasm. Vibrating penis rings are designed for penetrative sex and add sensations for both the wearer and the partner interacting with the penis.If you’re feeling creative, you can use vibrating cock rings to turn dildos into vibrating dildos for strap on sex or masturbation! Cock rings are some of the most affordable sex toy types. Always use a little lube with them to lessen friction and make it easier to take on and off.
- Strokers (masturbation sleeves) - With representational or non-representational options, Always be sure to use with lube!
These are non-vibrating devices used to stimulate the vulva and anus. They can also be inserted into a partner’s mouth. Some appear realistic/representational (meaning they’re designed to resemble a penis) while others are more abstract or non-representational. There are double-ended dildos that can be used by two different people on either end.
Glass Sex Toys
Usually g-spot toys or non-representational dildos, non-vibrating glass toys and glass wands are an amazing option for folks who have discomfort or experience painful penetration. Due to their ultra smooth style, they are easier to insert and are great for a slower, more gradual dilation. Don’t worry, glass sex toys are made from Borosilicate glass which is safe for temperature play (warm it up under some water) and will not break while inside you.
These are non-vibrating devices intended to create a bulge in your underwear or clothing. They are typically realistic (or non-representational) and some even allow the wearer to pee standing up. Packers are often worn by trans, genderqueer, non-binary, and gender non-conforming people to help affirm or express their gender identity. They aren’t necessarily used for sexual purposes but can be.
A harness is a garment that hold a packer, dildo, or other sex toy against your body. Some are worn like underwear or jock straps, while others are worn strapped around a body part. Harnesses pair with dildos for penetrative sex and pegging a partner.
We hope you have fun toy shopping! When it comes to choosing the best sex toys for couples, it’s important to talk about boundaries, and what you both like!
If you need any help, hit us up in the live chat for a personalized toy recommendation!